By Lee Whitaker • 2018 President
On behalf of the HBA of Greater Austin Board of Directors, I am so excited to write to you to introduce you to a new charity partner of the HBA — HomeAid Austin. A chapter of HomeAid America, HomeAid Austin is a nonprofit whose mission is rebuilding lives for Austin’s homeless through housing and community outreach.
HomeAid Austin will bring together the greater Austin homebuilding industry’s generosity and local nonprofit organizations serving the homeless to accomplish a housing need for our most vulnerable of neighbors.
How? HomeAid will garner in-kind donations of labor and materials to build dignified housing for these reputable nonprofit organizations serving the homeless.
When a HomeAid project is complete — whether it is an emergency shelter, transitional housing or permanent supportive housing — the care provider owns and operates the housing and provides the support services (i.e., education and job skills training, financial education, counseling and emotional support) that enable residents to get back on their feet and move toward self-sufficiency.
This collaboration allows nonprofit care providers to focus their energy and resources on providing direct services while homebuilders provide the construction-related expertise needed to build high quality housing at a fraction of the typical cost.
Thank you in advance to the companies who are already a part of this exciting effort and leading the HomeAid Austin Board of Directors:
- Lennar Homes – Charlie Coleman
- Taylor Morrison – April Solimine
- Brookfield Residential – Dirk Gosda
- Pacesetter Homes – Lee Whitaker
- Chesmar Homes – Kelsey Danielson
- Crescent Communities – Kandis Rushing
- Newland Communities – Nicolle Ramia
- Scott Felder Homes – Steve Krasoff
- First American Title – Linda Rosa
- Corridor Title – Laura Dupont
- Meyers Research – Lloyd Vaughn
- 2-10 Home Warranty – McCalle Fryar
- SouthStar Bank Mortgage – Jeff Pareja, Sr.
- Metrostudy – Amy Martin
Lastly, if you are interested in learning more about HomeAid, please visit www.homeaid.org. I am excited to see our industry make a big impact on this community need here in greater Austin. RL