By Steve Crorey • 2018 President
I can hardly believe how fast the year has passed! It was like yesterday that I had the honor of being sworn in as your president. At our 2017 Industry Awards and Installation last December, I promised you that I would take the challenges facing our association and industry and turn those into opportunities! With a great team of 2018 directors and dedicated ABoR staff, we accomplished a lot this year and have a lot to celebrate!
2018 was a year of refocusing on our members and making bold strides in charting the future of our association and our MLS, ACTRIS. Some of our accomplishments, to name a few, include:
- Becoming the first REALTOR association in the United States to livestream our board of directors meetings;
- Hiring a new CEO, Emily Chenevert, in April;
- Adopting separate, dedicated visions and strategic plans for ABoR and ACTRIS for the first time in our history;
- Thoroughly revising the ABoR bylaws and governance policies to better align with how our industry and our association operate today;
- Holding our first-ever annual board of directors election in October;
- Launching several new member engagement tools, such as our engage portal (ABoR.com/Engage), MLS feedback series, monthly president’s corner videos, increased brokerage visits and more;
- Exceeding attendance and fundraising records throughout the year at Realty Round Up, our monthly Member Forums, and TREPAC and ABoR Foundation events.
In addition to all of that, your ABoR leadership spent numerous hours traveling to seven conferences across the country this year to stay ahead of our industry’s rapidly changing landscape.
I am excited to end the year on two additional positive notes. Last month, ABoR launched our first-ever medical benefit program for our members. Remedy is an urgent care house call service and it’s included at a discounted rate in your ABoR membership! (Learn more at ABoR.com/Remedy). And any day now, we will be dedicating our fifth-annual Austin Habitat for Humanity Blitz Build home to Jessica Foster, an Austin ISD elementary art teacher. Jessica’s new home was built in just 12 days thanks to the ABoR Foundation and the hard work of many volunteer members like you!
With that said, I am confident in passing my role onto Kevin P. Scanlan with All City Real Estate in 2019. His dedication to this association and our industry will continue to move ABoR and ACTRIS into the future. Kevin, along with his 2019 leadership team, will tackle many important issues and further move the needle for our members.
Again, thank you for allowing me to serve. I am honored and privileged to have been your 2018 president. Thanks to my 2018 leadership team, ABoR staff, and all the volunteers who stepped up to make this one memorable ride. I leave you with this quote: “Work for a cause, not for applause. Live life to express, not to impress. Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, make your absence felt.” RL