By Becky Collins • 2019 President
Spring has arrived in Austin and the real estate industry continues to flourish! As our thoughts turn to a new season and our work environment becomes busier, it’s important to take time to reflect on where to invest your time and resources. Because we live in an age of innovation, technology and communication, having strategic partnerships across business sectors is no longer simply a social option. It is a necessity that will keep our local businesses competitive in a fluid, changing market.
With that in mind, I would like to personally invite you to consider getting involved with the Home Builders Association (HBA) of Greater Austin. Since 1953, the HBA has served six surrounding counties — Bastrop, Caldwell, Hays, Lee, Travis and Williamson — and works with government, public, business and community organizations to advance the practice and professionalism in the home building industry and to ensure that all people in the Greater Austin area live in strong communities and affordable homes that enable them to thrive.
We have found that people join not only for the networking and advocacy benefits, but to feel like they belong to a professional family that is working toward the greater good of the industry. The relationships people form is why we continue to grow and are over 750 members strong.
Here are five reasons to consider getting involved with the HBA:
- Education: There are many opportunities to grow professionally through seminars, workshops, and continuing education courses. As a member, you also have membership in the Texas Association of Builders (TAB) and the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), thus gaining access to local, state and national educational resources with one membership.
- Collaboration: Networking events allow for builders, REALTORS and industry related companies to come together to learn and grow. Throughout the year, there are numerous events and meetings held at various venues, from the golf course to the classroom to the ballroom. It is easy to get active in the HBA by joining a council or committee where your talents can be put to work making our industry better and having your voice heard.
- Action: Make a difference in our community by supporting the efforts of HomeAid, Community First and other outreach programs that make the Greater Austin area a better place to live. There are many opportunities to volunteer and give back!
- Advertising: There are many events that provide excellent opportunities for recognition, such as the MAX Awards, Parade of Homes, annual and mid-year housing forecasts, Benefit Home, golf tournament or the Crawfish Boil Builder/REALTOR mixer. Our members are also published in our membership directory and website. We encourage our members and the public to “do business with a member.”
- Advocacy: Saving the best for last, the HBA closely monitors regulatory and legal issues that affect the residential construction industry. We are always on the lookout for local issues that affect our industry and take a very active role to improve the situation on behalf of our members, with numerous wins on issues like Code Next and the City of Austin Electrical Inspection Relief to name a few. We are committed to protecting your business interests, giving you a voice, and keeping you informed. Gain insight to issues that we face in the present so we can plan for the future.
These are only a few of the reasons we invite you to join the HBA. If you are interested in learning more, please reach out to me, a staff member, or any one of our board directors. Or check out our website for our next event and join us!
Henry Ford once said “Coming together is a beginning, keeping together is a process, working together is a success.”
I look forward to accomplishing all of this, together. RL