By Jennifer Lish • 2019 President
It is hard to believe that we are already in May of 2019. This year is flying by. While we are keeping busy in this spring selling season, let’s remember that it is our job to educate clients about the market and give our professional advice to help them through the process.
You’ll find interesting stats in the Texas Association of REALTOR’s Texas Homebuyers & Sellers Report. I found these to be helpful:
- Fifty percent of buyers owned a home, 40 percent rented, five percent lived with parents or friends and paid rent and five percent lived with parents, relatives or friends and did not pay rent.
- One-third are first-time buyers
- 47 is the median age for Texas homebuyers
- Median household income of $101,700
- Nearly 70 percent of homebuyers are married couples
- 15 percent of single homebuyers are women
- 9 percent are single males
- 5 percent are unmarried couples
Thirty-six percent say they want an existing home for better overall value, better pricing and more charm and character.
Nearly twice as many buyers in Texas want a new home compared to homebuyers nationwide. Of those clients who are motivated to buy a new home: 35 percent want to avoid renovations or major problems, 34 percent want to choose and customize their future home from the beginning and 15 percent do so for the new home amenities. Given these stats, it’s a good thing we have several great builders in the Austin area to help our clients.
Among sellers, 22 percent sell to move closer to friends or family, 17 percent are due to job relocations and 8 percent want to move closer to a current job.
I invite you to visit our Facebook page, Women’s Council of REALTORS Austin. Join us at our next business meeting on May 21. Our speaker will be speaker Michael Maher. Be watching for save the date invitations to be inspired by John Harrell and Sandra Dee Robinson. For more information, call me at 512-296-8187 or Lishjennifer@gmail.com. RL